Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Making a vase look like a rock...


Like I said, I'm inspired by nature.  This standing lava rock was my inspiration for glazing this vase.  I brushed on orange underglaze, sponged some of it off for a more natural pattern and used a black, glossy brush on glaze (painted in a swish pattern only to the top of the vase).   Again I sponged some off to get rid of any brush patterns.  Then, I brushed on a dull, matte grey blue.  These 3 glazes blended in the kilning, you never know quite what you will get, but I was happy with the result.

The shape of the vase was made on the wheel 5 lbs of clay.  I deformed the opening with my hands to give it an oval shape and then used my palm, sticking it to the wet clay and pulling away to give the surface a more random, organic texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment